20 April, 2009

Java and C#

I started to learn Java and C# about 3 weeks ago. Theoretically, both have similar structure and coding styles. As I know C and C++, they are just a dialect for me. The last time I played with VC++ was around 2000, and there are so many things had been changed and improved.

Yet there is one thing I don't like about the new versions or different compilers. Although you know C++ from textbook, you can not start using VC++ as it has special commands for cording. If you want to learn how to program with the Visual Studio, you better get textbooks teaching about VS. I learned VC++ from the Microsoft's manual came with the compiler.

There are many books teaching about VC# or VC++, yet not all of them are compatible with the current model. For instance, if you want to use Point(x, y), it won't work with VS 2008. You must type System.Drawing.Point (x, y) instead. Then I remembered why I put the chart on the wall in my room in Japan when I studied VC++. Knowing what was derived from which class in a visual form was easy to understand the commands. I guess I need the chart again. The Object Browser is helpful but still it only has the thread tree type description.

If anyone sell the code converstion dictionary describing the change from the old version, I think there are some demand for the book. And I wish the book should be listed in the category of "Linguistics" section. Computer languages are also something human use for communication and must be categorized and respected as normal languages. The only the ones who understand 0 and 1 uses the language though.

I'm playing with NetBeans but that one is pretty tough. I was from Visual Studio back ground and the interface to everything in NetBeans is totally new. Besides, I am a compelete beginner of Java. I would be able to read some "dialects" because of my C and C++ (and now C#) knowledge. Java can be flexible as a free programming tool and its popularity. I feel more comfortable playing with VC# but Java can be an alternative for working with Linux or other platform. I am just trying to be flexible and get some skills.

0 comments: