01 November, 2009

Life with SQL Server 2008

I never had problem installing Microsoft products in my life before. But installation of SQL Server took some efforts. To be honest, it takes few days to understand things and how to install for a complete beginner for the networking. I tried to search the Web when I got the problem with the configuration of "The credentials you provided during SQL Server 2008 install are invalid." Then I found some people asking about how to overcome the problem. I read some solutions and yet I had problem with it. Then I finally figured out what I needed was to tell the administrator level account name and its password. Some websites go over to discuss about the differences between the local administrator and domain administrator accounts. I think that was way too much to know about just the installation of a software. If someone has problem how to install SQL Server 2008, try using the account with admini level access for VISTA.

By the way, if you install Visual Studio 2008 and not yet upgraded to SP1, the installation will demand you to install SP1 for VS 2008 before installing SQL Server 2008. So, if you are planning to install SQL Server 2008 but own the old version of VS 2008, try to upgrade VS 2008 first. Otherwise, you cannot install the software.

I wish Microsoft tells about this in the requirement which people check it to read. And I wonder if SharePoint ready products may require similar update-this-first aspect. You know, if you have too many Microsoft products, it takes awhile to upgrade everything. Since Windows 7 is released recently, I think this is a good time to comment about Microsoft's products. Why I use Microsoft products? It's simply because I have the computers with Windows installed. If the computer only comes with blank hard disk, I would probably install Ubuntu as it is free to install the OS in any language I want. This is something missing in Microsoft products. I can play with English, Japanese, or German software, but I sometimes feel easy to go with English one as I lack the certain vocaburaries in German functions and searching the help. Not all the users accessing the computer may not be able to understand the language the OS uses, you know.

0 comments: