11 September, 2010

International Burn-A-Koran Day

I heard about the American pastor Terry Jones is up to calling for burn Koran books for the protesting. I don't know if the purpose is to build more conflicts between Christians and Muslims.

Ramadan is over and the Muslims seem to be going back to their daily lives. During Ramadan, I saw people working like usual. The only differences to me were the problem of buying my meals and to be careful about eating or drinking in public area. Most restaurants open from the late evening, so I got problem to get my lunch. Another issue was that the parks are not suited for having lunch outside. One month was quite a long time to adjust my life into the new regulation. First, I thought these Muslims were in the conditions of boxers who must do it for their religion business. At the end, I started to feel like I was surrounded by huge numbers of hanger-strike participants. Once I enter a restaurants, there were tourists, Christians, and others having their daily meals. Since I am Christian, I was able to be one of them. But once I am outside of such exceptional area, I had to be careful not mentioning about food or drinks.

There is one thing I mentioned and seemed to be a useful tactics to make Muslims suffer from the thirst. During Ramadan in summer, they don't like to see or hear the noise from a water bottle. If you hold a water bottle, the Muslims seems to turn away. They seem to stay away from someone making noise with the pet bottle pushing... I just happened to find this out accidentally. I did not enjoy it at all. Maybe they can resist hot tea, but the cold water in the water bottle seems to be a devastating view. If someone really wants to harass Muslims, they can just hold water bottles during Ramadan. In Japan, some people put water bottles on the walls to avoid cats, and this another fact made me to feel funny about another use of the pet bottle. If you have Muslim friends, try not to show water bottles during Ramadan or they will suffer from the visual effect.

In my opinion, I think people should not burn Koran. It only helps Muslim book publishers to gain money from the sales. Also, it increase some extra CO2 in the air to give tiny effect to the global warming. I don't mind people burning Koran, but I feel a bit sad about the fact that Jesus is also described in the book as a prophet. The book can be used to understand the historical context around Jesus and its era, and burning it seems to be denying another religion as well as how Muslims accept Christians through Koran.

0 comments: