05 June, 2007

Being a refugee in a foreign country.

On Mass media, we see the news and donation campaigns to bring some help to the refugees. The people see these news never think themselves into such situation. There are nations or tribes always experiencing war and disasters somewhere on this earth. The country in the New World are at war for how long? 50 years? Anyway, running away from the home to become a vagabond is a hard thing to do, especially when you enjoy all the wealth at your home. Some people lost their families in war or disaster, too. In my case, I left my apartment and my home in my country to become a refugee in foreign nation. I have been to England when I was a teenager, but travelling around the European countries was my experience. Some refugees already got relatives in this country. My knowledge about this country was limited.. I knew what the national flag looks like; I knew the name of the capital city; I knew what famous about this country like souvenirs and sightseeing spots; I knew what kind of language they speak, etc. What I found out from my experience is – we do not really need much stuffs four our life. When I left the country in the New World, I only had several books (including the American Catholic Bible), a note PC, two digital cameras, one voice recorder, 3 T-shirts, 2 Jeans, 2 jackets, several rosaries, and daily goods like shampoo and soaps you can get at motels. I have left other my belongings like huge collections of various books, PDAs, 3 desktop PCs. Living in the woods, Joseph Campbell became a great writer and intellectual. At least, we have free foreign language classes for refugees, internet (not free!), and libraries (not free!). I do not know why some refugees spending money on alcohols and big meals, but it might be a way to reduce their traumatic experiences. My case? I am trying to study the foreign language and gaining knowledge. All materials might perish, but knowledge won't. Being a refugee, what I can stack up is only in my brain and some mobile data storages.

0 comments: