03 June, 2007

How asylum process goes

This time, I would like to explain the process of how refuge system works. I first visited the government office to ask for political asylum. Then the officer gave me a document and a map. At the train station, the clerk gave me a free train ticket (with government sign) to the station close to the reception center. At the center, the security guards checked my belongings and my body (like in airports). The guard kept my electronic devices like laptop and other metal goods. That night, I got a shelter. A bunk bed with pillows. Also, we had free three meals.

Later, several people and I were transported to another reception center by chartered bus. During the trip, we got our cell phones back. Some refugees have cell phones as they got them from their relatives and friends living in this country. In another reception center, our lives became less strict. At the first center, we could not go out without permission. But the second one, we could go out in morning and afternoon. The assistant office gave us free sanitary goods like tooth pasts and toilet papers as well as medical goods. Also, we received some money once a week. We had two interviews, one for health matter, and second for asylum purpose. The security at the entrance still checked our body with a metal detector.

Third time of transportation, my stuffs that were taken at the first reception center was returned Finally, I got back my own computer to work with and my fountain pen for protection. “A pen is mightier than a sword,” you know? The government is no longer giving us free meals but free dormitory type place to stay. People get about 7-8$ per day. (I'm not in the US, but using $ for convenience.) We have to cook our own meals and buy own sanitary stuffs. The chief have some medicare goods free.

In my case, I have to pay the rent as I have enough money, and that is why I am a political asylum seeker. I do not know how things go, but I must thank the government for giving me “certain protection” from the danger in my country and in the country in New World. By the way, I am not a “Mid-Eastern.”

0 comments: